I’ll be honest, sometimes I am secretly envious of people who are beacons of their communities, living their lives with the primary purpose of doing good and giving back to society. It’s definitely not an easy job and definitely not one with a long list of applicants.
For those of you lucky enough to have a “Do-Gooder” in your life 1) take a step back and thank them profusely for all they do 2) ignore their commentary about not wanting anything for themselves for the holidays. As much as they want to help those around them, it’s important to show our “Do-Gooders” the appreciation and love they deserve and perhaps, at the same time help another in need.
Let me present my “Do-Gooder” Gift Guide (A.K.A. Gifts that Give Back)!
1) Kiehl’s ‘Grapefruit’ Creme de Corps body butter – 100% of net profits is given to Share our Strength’s “No Kid Hungry” campaign
2) TOMS ‘Grary’ metallic flat – With every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need. One for One.
3) Invisible Children Shi-Inda ring set – All donations and purchases fund Invisible Children’s mission of civilian protection and rehabilitation of children abducted by the LRA. Invisible Children provides protection and recovery programs that focus on the futures of war-affected youth while their worldwide advocacy aims to establish long-term peace and prosperity.
4) Clarins ‘FEED’ kit – Your purchase of the Clarins FEED 10 Pouch will provide 10 school meals through the United Nations World Food Programme.
5) West Elm ‘It Gets Better’ porcelain mug – Partnering with It Gets Better, West Elm will donate 50% of the purchase price from the sale of each mug to the organization. It Gets Better works to inspire hope for LGBT youth facing harassment.
6) Chan Luu breast cancer awareness beaded wrap bracelet – Chan Luu will donate 50% of all sales of this bracelet to the Think Pink, Live Green Initiative.
7) Ann Taylor elephant stud earrings – Ann Taylor will donate 50% of the purchase price of these pieces to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital®.
8) Warby Parker ‘Dutch’ sunglasses – For every pair of sunglasses sold, a pair of optical glasses will be distributed to someone in need.
9) Michael Kors ‘Watch Hunger Stop’ Oversized 100 series watch – For every sale of the 100 Series watch, United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) will deliver 100 meals to children in need.
10) Triple Key iPhone case – Each purchase allows The Giving Keys to help employ those who are looking to transition out of homelessness.
11) 4 All Humanity ‘Call-Me Maybe’ Mitts – 4 All Humanity supports talented artisans worldwide through global marketing, technical training and design assistance.
12) 31 Bits ‘Molly Moon’ necklace – All accessories are handmade in Uganda and every purchase plays a part in empowering people to rise above poverty through programs aimed at financial sustainability.
There are truly some amazing people out there doing some amazing things. Let’s keep them in our hearts and thoughts this holiday season.