Style

The Perfect Summer Sandal

Birkenstock Gizeh Black Perfect Summer Sandal The Hearts Delight

Monday, Monday… are you guys recovering?  A bout of the kiddie summer cold kept me home tending to my littlest patient most of the weekend.  We did A LOT of book reading which was good, although I think I may scream if I ever have to read another book from the “Pinkalicious” series again.  Pure. Parental. TORTURE.  Why can’t there be a good preschool book about Chanel!? Seriously… that may be my next project.  A sample excerpt:

10 quilted Chanel bags all in a row, the black one is missing.

Now, where did it go?!”

During all of this quiet time, aside from my book deal aspirations, I did start thinking about my annual NYC summer migration with the kids and packing us for the 2 weeks away. My list making has officially kicked off and my top priority is making sure that I have a great summer sandal that can take me from beach to city without any blisters or ouches, and WITH a whole lot of style.  Sunday morning while browsing the Nordstrom shoe department, I found it.  THE perfect summer sandal.  Ironically, it’s the perfect summer sandal that I might have owned almost 20 years ago… a Birkenstock Gizeh in black leather.  Now before you get all huffy and remind me about my recent rant on “The Ugly Shoe,” let me explain.  The Gizeh style, is a little less common than the typical wide two-strap Birk that you’re probably used to seeing.  It’s a little more narrow, more feminine and more modern.  It also pairs perfectly with dresses, shorts and basically anything in your closet.  Most importantly, it might be the most comfortable sandal I have ever put on my foot.  Minimalist perfection.

Being the good friend that I am, I’ve pulled some great photo inspiration highlighting the awesomeness that is the Gizeh.

(source)

(source)

(source)

(source)

(source)

My feet could not be more excited about my selection.  What do YOU think? Am I just another fashion victim to “the ugly shoe”?

XOXO,

Stella

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

• Reply Melanie | Melanie Makes June 9, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Oh I adore you Stella! I needed a new sandal and here you are to save the day!

• Reply scompiseno June 9, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Melanie- I’m so glad you found your sandal inspo! I’m wearing mine today- totally comfy. xo, S

• Reply Kenny September 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

Do you think it is ok for a guy to wear gizeh in matte black ?? I ask because i sometimes get some comments from people – but i dont care – i love them very much – they are really cool !!

• Reply scompiseno September 19, 2014 at 9:52 am

Hi Kenny! Ok, so I thought long and hard about your question, as men & sandals (“mandals”?) is a very devisive topic. Personally, I think it’s all about your feet. If you have decent looking, well groomed feet go ahead and show them off. Unfortunately, MANY men don’t, which kind of makes me throw up a little in my mouth. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, we can talk styling: if you’re going to be wearing a “hippie-grungy-ish” shoe it’s important to keep the rest of your look clean and tailored- no ripped jeans, baggy old t-shirts, etc. Here’s a good example: http://l-homme-que-je-suis.tumblr.com/post/86686418536

Hope that helps a little Kenny! Keep on keeping stylish & wear things that make you happy 🙂

Xo, Stella

• Reply Kenny September 20, 2014 at 7:50 am

Hi Stella
        I have small, not wide well looking size 8 (41) feet 🙂
        I usually wear them like the guy on the photo with a pair of Levis 511 and an RL or Hilfiger polo – exept i have the Gizeh (thong) model – and not the 2 strap model he has on

• Reply scompiseno September 22, 2014 at 7:54 am

It sounds like you are on the right style track! Hope you get many more weeks of Gizeh wear. It’s in the 50’s here today and I’m sad to see my sandals get stored away until next year. XO