No your eyes have not deceived you. You’ve read correctly. An actual summer style trend exists that can flatter the largest of bellies — baby, or otherwise.
Whether you’re housing a tiny human or just last night’s sodium-laden burrito, trapeze dresses have come to the fashion rescue! With their slightly oversized shape and forgiving, swingy silhouette they are a sophisticated way to tackle two of summer’s biggest issues:
1) Staying cool in the heat.
2) Looking slim + trim in LESS clothes.
Just take a gander at some of the lovely ladies below — some WITH child, might I add!
Some style notes to keep in mind when shopping and putting together trapeze dress looks:
1) Keep the top of the dress slim — from tank straps to off the shoulder looks, your collar bone, shoulders and decolletage should be highlighted.
2) Pair the dress with high strappy sandals or dainty pumps for a dressier take on a trapeze look. Since there is an abundance of fabric up top, you want to balance that out with a long, lean look from knees down.
3) For day, casual athletic-inspired sneakers look great too!
4) Think the look is just a bit too much fabric for you? Simply add a skinny belt, long scarf, or shirt tied around the waist to give your body more fit + flare definition.
5) Try layering a shorter length trapeze dress over skinny jeans in the fall, for a chic spin on the look.
Hard to resist right? Well, don’t. When you’re done getting all inspired, shop the look with some of my favorite trapeze dress picks!