Spring is TOTALLY in the air, right guys!?
I kept reminding myself of that fact as I circled my soggy yard and stalked my street looking for my missing garbage can that had blown away in the cold, gale force wind. No garbage can, but I did find 4 different recycling bins, a milk container, 2 pizza boxes, and assorted magazines belonging to neighbors. Oh, and the forecast now calls for snow on Sunday.
Although it may not always feel like spring outside, there is no reason why your home shouldn’t get a taste of spring fever. One of the easiest ways to add a dash of seasonal flair is with a throw pillow refresh. Throw pillows are inexpensive accents that draw in color and pattern in what can be an otherwise pretty neutral space. Those little squares have the ability to give your space depth, visual interest and an entirely new look in a matter of minutes.
Just like the clothing on our body, throw pillows are a great way to layer pattern and texture. Don’t be afraid to mix and match to create a unique look that will have you feeling the spring in no time!
(Click on the images below for product details!)
Some interior styling tips:
• When it comes to pillows I like to mix a large scale pattern with a small one — it looks great and keeps the pillows from visually competing with each other. A no fail throw pillow combo is: a geometric, a floral and a solid, textural option.
• Select throw pillows with down/feather inserts — unless you’re allergic, of course. In that case, you do you! The down/feather insert might be slightly more expensive than the polyester fill alternatives, but they look so much nicer and “full” as the pillow gets used. Equally as important, a down/feather insert can be removed and/or reused with a new case which can save you a bit of cash and headache down the line.
• Take your throws to the floor! Have you considered using a leather or upholstered pouf? I’ve had a cobalt blue, leather, Moroccan pouf in my family room for a few years now and it’s held up beautifully as an ottoman, an extra casual seating option, a platform for my kids to jump off of and a small stage for impromptu kid speeches and performances. A great investment, if I say so myself.
• Get creative with your resources — look for pillows at some of your favorite women’s wear retailers! H&M and ZARA both have under-the-radar home sections on their e-commerce sites containing really stylish and inexpensive home decor options.
• If all else fails, go custom. A throw pillow is perhaps one of the easiest DIY sewing projects we can take on. All it takes is a trip to your local craft or fabric store, a pillow insert and a sewing machine. If this DIY take is not for you, ETSY is an amazing destination for inexpensive and practically-custom throw pillow options. Don’t see exactly what you’re looking for from a seller? Message them directly and inquire! Many times Etsy sellers can custom create whatever size or pattern you are looking for even if it’s not listed on their site!
(header image via)