With all of the runway inspiration during Fashion Month, sometimes we need a good dose of reality to get our minds out of designer heaven and back to earth.
While those frocks you see on the runway can cost upwards of tens of thousands of dollars, it’s just fashion. Fashion is nothing without style — and you’ve got style.
Trust me, you do.
Along with your own personal style, you’ve also got great resources like the internet (ahem, ahem… and yours truly!), as well as stores like H&M that produce hundreds of on-trend styles at affordable prices. For my clients on a budget or those who simply want to recreate a designer look for less, I love to peruse the online racks of H&M.
Did you know that the merchandise that is shipped to your local H&M is regionalized?
That means that the stores in your town are probably not getting some of the best styles and size runs sent to big city retail outposts like New York or Los Angeles. Rather than spend my precious time scouring the racks and walk away disappointed, I instead like to head straight to the web and check out the full inventory. There I can see fit details, styling recommendations and fabrication.
I know that H&M can be quite overwhelming for some, so here are some tips to keep in mind for shopping success:
- Scope the PREMIUM QUALITY section first. This is where you’ll find the higher end materials like cashmere, wool and leather. I’m a big snob about materials and fabrication and if it’s not made well, or completely synthetic I won’t buy it — no matter how cheap it is.
- Stick to neutrals. Neutrals just read as more expensive and “high-end.” They also tend to be more versatile and get more wear throughout the season. Long story short: you’ll get better bang for your buck with neutrals.
- Check the NEW ARRIVALS frequently. Fast fashion retailers like H&M constantly add inventory to their collections. Even if you can’t find what you’re looking for on a Friday — check back on a Monday and you might just find that perfect something.
- Size up for all H&M clothing. This European retailer consistently runs small. It’s a safe bet that you’ll be 1-2 sizes larger than your regular size.
- Don’t forget to enter code 0040 for free shipping on all orders of $40 or more. Returns are free in store, and only $5.95 if via USPS.
Have you scored any great fall style on a budget from H&M lately?