Style

Blue Velvet

ganni_blue_velvet_holiday_style_dress_m2malletier_zara_booties_street_style_header

Three things go into the making of the perfect garment: cut, color + texture.

This GANNI DRESS just happens to be a combination of all 3.

ganni_blue_velvet_holiday_style_dress_m2malletier_zara_booties_street_style

What I’m Wearing:

Dress — GANNI
Turtleneck — NORDSTROM RACK
Booties — ZARA (THESE are a close match!)
Bag — M2MALLETIER (Sold out, but love THIS basic black style, too.)
Bracelets — MIANSAI, GILES & BROS. + EVEREVE (only $13!)

I’ve been stalking this dress ever since my ODE TO GANNI a few weeks back. I loved the icy clue color and velvet texture that was totally on trend for the season and simply what I wanted to wear this holiday. My only hesitation when considering this dress was the neckline — it’s a pretty deep plunge, and while it’s perfectly appropriate on a 20 year old model with no cleavage to speak of, I wasn’t sure if this mom of 2 could swing it.

Enter the second-skin, LAYERING TURTLENECK.

161121_69_thdl_websharplowres ganni_blue_velvet_holiday_style_dress_m2malletier_zara_booties_street_style

Many of this season’s styles have involved creative layering — slip dresses, camisoles and yes, even a HOODIE SWEATSHIRT! Why not layer this dress in the same manner?! The moment I slipped on the dress over my CREAM TURTLENECK, I knew it was the way to go! The additional layer gave me a bit of warmth and smoothed everything out. Just so you know, I’m also wearing a SPANX SLIP under the bottom half of the dress to further hide any of the shirt’s hemlines and keep the dress from looking too sheer.

ganni_blue_velvet_holiday_style_dress_m2malletier_zara_booties_street_style ganni_blue_velvet_holiday_style_dress_m2malletier_zara_booties_street_style

Given the more casual look I created, I opted to pair the outfit with my favorite cream-colored booties from Zara. They were last year’s purchase and unfortunately no longer available, but THIS PAIR is remarkably similar and a great price! If I wanted to make the dress more “cocktail party” worth, I would simply substitute a LACE TRIM CAMISOLE (currently $34.99 PLUS an EXTRA 30% off with code FRIEND!) for the turtleneck and a pair of STRAPPY HEELS for the booties. Easy, peasy. ganni_blue_velvet_holiday_style_dress_m2malletier_zara_booties_street_style

This dress is currently available at BRIGADE. In case you missed it, BRIGADE is offering an exclusive 30% OFF DISCOUNT on all purchases through December 5th (*limited exclusions apply). Just mention The Heart’s Delight and/or this post at purchase — in person if you’re local to the NE Ohio area, or via phone if you’re not!

Shop The Post:

ganni_blue_velvet_holiday_style_dress_m2malletier_zara_booties_street_style

(Photography by SHANNON AHLSTRAND)

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply Uzo o December 5, 2016 at 12:14 pm

That bag is so pretty ,I also love the dress.

• Reply scompiseno December 5, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Thank You! I have been wearing this bag ALL THE TIME! It was such a good investment.
      xoxo

• Reply pipesnbuttons December 5, 2016 at 12:25 pm

You look stunning as usual! Fall and winter are really all about the layers. I couldn’t wear that plunge neck either and would totally layer it the way you did.

• Reply scompiseno December 5, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Thank you! Yeah, the plunge neck is tough, but I think if Kim K. can pull it off, maybe with some body tape and strategic binding I’ll be locked in enough to wear it comfortably!? We’ll See! xoxo

• Reply Thorton Paul December 5, 2016 at 1:46 pm

your boots are so chic my dear!

• Reply scompiseno December 5, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Thank You! They’re one of my favorites. xoxo

• Reply Aimara December 5, 2016 at 4:15 pm

This dress is perfection on you and loved how you styled it babe!
    XO
    Aimara

• Reply scompiseno December 5, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Thank you so much! I can’t wait to wear it again.

• Reply mommyteacherfashionista December 5, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Wow !!! This dress is truly stunning and I also love all your jewelry!

• Reply scompiseno December 5, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Thanks! I’m not a huge jewelry person, so it was nice to get to wear some of my favorites that have been stored away for way too long.

• Reply styleweekender December 6, 2016 at 12:06 am

I really loved how you styled this look. The turtle nexk was such a nice touch. Very ladylike and chic.

• Reply Darci December 6, 2016 at 1:29 am

Styled to perfection! Love that dress on you babe!! XO

• Reply Ms. Morgan Ryan December 6, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Love the unique layering of a turtle neck with a V neck! V cool 🙂

Xx,
    M

• Reply scompiseno December 6, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Thank you! It’s a styling trick I’ve been using all season to extend some of my more summery dresses, or make some deep plunges more wearable for day!

• Reply ChardlineC December 6, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I love how to paired the dress with a turtle neck!! So cute!

• Reply naturallyfarout December 6, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I need this velvet in my life. My blog is full of it right now.

-Kierra

• Reply Olga Gruzina December 8, 2016 at 5:04 am

Can’t see anything, but this wonderful bag! So in love with it )) sorry, this is confessions of a bag addict

• Reply scompiseno December 8, 2016 at 6:44 am

Olga — I’m a bag addict, too & would have totally done the same. M2Malletier is my new obsession! xoxo