As the temperatures chill and frost starts creeping up your windows in the morning, there is nothing more comforting than the hearty meals and desserts celebrating the foods of the season. Stews, casseroles, chilies, roasts… all ridiculously delicious and ridiculously filling! After one of our Sunday dinners, you practically have to roll me out of the dining room. Worst of all, sometimes I am so full, I can barely enjoy dessert. Don’t worry, I take one for the team. No dessert gets left behind in our house.
Don’t start unbuttoning your pants just yet- I have the perfect after-dinner solution for the full and weary. Forget over the top rich apple pie, try this mini apple pie ice-cream float instead! It’s all of the dessert flavors you love and crave, but in shot-glass form with a quarter (or less) of the calories of traditional apple pie! Best of all, it can be served as is, or with a float of Calvados (apple brandy) to really gild the metaphorical lily.
Apple Pie Ice-Cream Float
- Vanilla ice cream
- Sparkling apple cider
- Whipped cream
- Cinnamon stick (for garnish)
- Calvados brandy (optional)
1. Place a small scoop of vanilla ice cream into the bottom of your shot glass (or regular glass).
2. Cover ice cream with sparkling apple cider.
3. If using Calvados (or any liqueur- vanilla vodka would also be delicious), now is the time to gently float a small amount over the top of the cider.
4. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
5. Serve with a straw and cinnamon stick for garnish.
How adorable would these mini-floats be served at the conclusion of Thanksgiving dinner? Just sayin’!