Between the big move and my husband traveling out of the country for work, the last few weeks have been a hodge podge of scheduling to get us unpacked and settled and get my kids where they need to be. Clearly something had to give… and unfortunately that something was my workout regimen.
This week I made a commitment to carve out one hour a day for myself. To be honest it’s not something I was exactly looking forward to, but I knew I had to do it in order to feel better and be better. Needless to say, I made it through the spin class and I walked out feeling like a new person. Why am I telling you this? Well, take this with a grain of salt, but I find that the physical act of setting goals and meeting them give me a sense of accomplishment and confidence. I feel good, albeit sore. So, let’s take the weekend and create some awesome goals — no matter how big or small. We may just surprise ourselves with all of the awesome things we can accomplish.
As for now!? Get inspired with this week’s Friday Link Love round up!
You know, the frou-frou pink hearts and flowers type. Even with Valentine’s Day less than 24-hours away, I’m holding strong to my minimalist, monochromatic ways! Well… except for this February wish list of fashion finds.
I’m not quite sure how we sped through the first month of the year so fast… but hey, we’re now one month closer to spring, so I’m not complaining. Each month seems to bring with it fresh new things that capture my attention which I’m happy to now share with you!
So let’s get started…
As far as lip color goes, I’m generally a neutral loving kind of gal. I have yet to meet a nude or blush toned cream, gloss or pencil that I haven’t loved. Low maintenance is my jam and neutrals tend to lend themselves to less time applying… and RE-applying.
This past Dallas weekend may have changed my mind, though. A few months back I received a small sample (thank you,THE POWDER ROOM!) of DIEGO DALLA PALMA ROSSO ROSETTO LIP COLOR in 110 Cyclamen/The Enthusiastic and with no kids, work or urgent responsibilities holding me back, I gave it a swipe. True to it’s marketing promise, it didn’t feather, didn’t dry my lips out and stayed put until I physically wiped it off.
What did I like best about it? It wasn’t red. I love red lips, but the deep fuchsia seemed less fussy and more modern than it’s red cousin. I’m hooked.
J.Crew has been in the sunglasses game for quite some time, but never selling their own in-house brand. That is, until now… meet SAM, RYAN, BETTY, IRVING, JACK + JILL! These 6 designs cover the spectrum of sunglass styles that together create the ultimate sunglass wardrobe.
The price point, while not cheap, is in line with the quality you are getting — handmade acetate frames, UV protective lenses and an overall, really nice weight to the glasses. I’m really particular about my sunglasses when it comes to weight — too light and they feel cheap, too heavy and they give me a headache. J.Crew gets it just right.
My absolute favorite!? While it’s a tough call, I’d have to say the BETTY in grey.
One of the few bloggers that I consistently follow — Jacey Duprie of DAMSEL IN DIOR recently posted images from a trip to Park City. Gorgeous mountain scenery aside, the other best thing I noticed was her boots. Unlike any winter boots in my collection, I loved how these DANNER ‘STUMPTOWN’ BOOTS were rugged and practical, yet still didn’t make her feet look like a Yeti’s. I’d almost go out on a limb to say, I would wear these boots even if it were NOT snowing!
THIS is the bag of my dreams. A combination of modern, minimalist and classic design, the M2MALLETIER bags have secured a top spot on my handbag wish list. Known for their “needle” handles, I can’t help but drool every time I see this bag in person and in editorial shoots. Don’t even get me started on the amazing skins and colors involved…
Honestly, what I love best about this bag!? It makes a true statement without any recognizable logos or flash. It’s so strikingly simple that you can’t help but pay attention.
Good job, M2Malletier… you’ve got my full attention.
SHOP THE LOOK:
Trader Joe’s Macarons
First came the MINI CINNAMON CHURROS, now the macarons. Are you trying to put me into a diabetic shock, Trader Joe’s?! In all seriousness, the Trader Jacques’ A DOZEN MACARONS VARIÉS are by far my favorite sweet treat… and I don’t see that status changing next month either. Oui, Oui! With an assortment of 6 flavors (fig, lemon, pistachio, coconut, salted caramel + chocolate) and stunning colors, they are almost too pretty to eat.
At only 40 calories per macaron, it’s nice to know my nightly treat is not a calorie buster. Better yet, this box of 12 cookies comes in at under $5. Good thing, I’m due for another.
Thank goodness February only has 28 days. We’ve entered the doldrums of winter. The fresh New Year is getting worn in pretty fast, as are my Winter style staples. At this point in the year, I am quite stocked in terms of seasonal essentials and pretty much looking ahead to resort collections and Spring transitional items (Hello there, ASOS bathing suit clearance BONANZA!). Shedding my layers and putting on something a little less bulky has never sounded more wonderful.
The good news is that dressing for transitional seasons (Spring/Fall) is a lot of mixing and matching of existing pieces. A little of this, a little of that… and you have yourself a great outfit. All it takes is a few special additions to freshen up the collection and make you feel like a whole new you. The even better news is that these new additions, don’t come with a huge price tag attached. Under $50, baby.
1. A new DENIM JACKET has been on my list for quite a while. I think my current denim jacket is about 10 years old with faded elbows to prove it. Goes to show you what a classic piece this little jacket is for a woman’s wardrobe! I’ll definitely be getting my money’s worth.
2. I love, love, love TKEES. Again, these flip flops are going to be replacing a pair that have been a little too loved over the past few years. The nude tones of the leather just fade away into your skin tone and make your legs look extra fabulous! The well-cushioned leather footbed is also a nice treat.
3. I try to change my phone case with each season and the J.CREW cases just seem to hold up the best. The calf hair animal print ones are my absolute favorite year-round. The texture gives the phone a much needed grip that generally keeps me from dropping mine… whoops.
4. When it comes to my nails, I’m as non-adventurous as they get! Super dark/black/purple, a true crimson red, a pale sheer pink and WHITE are my go-tos. I love this crisp, opaque white shade when the weather warms up and I’m ready to hit the beach/pool. It just looks so clean against slightly tanned skin.
5. While I’m a fan of bright lips during the cold Winter months, Spring calls for something a little more delicate and understated. This TOM FORD nude (Holden), is simply the best for my skin tone. It’s a light, golden nude wash of color- so pretty with a bit or bronzer/tan!
6. Now, to hold all of my beauty goodies I love these TRUFFLE pouches! They’re well constructed and sheer, so nothing gets lost. I also love to use them poolside to protect my phone, watch, etc. from any moisture!
7. I’ve told you about my fondness for a good backpack and this simple JANSPORT design would be perfect for everyday and travel use. While it’s pretty utilitarian in design, the materials are just chic enough to make it special.
9. This STRIPED DRESS caught my eye for more than its totally awesome price tag. I really like the length and dipped hemline which can easily be layered over skinny jeans/leggings, or worn on its own as a vacation coverup.
10. This THUG LIFE t-shirt makes me laugh…because it’s true. It’s something I say way more than I would like!
11. While I’m never one to shy away from designer shades, I love great SUNGLASSES finds like these that look WAY more expensive than they really are. Perfect for when my kids drop, stretch, scratch and break them. Gotta think ahead!