Over the past few years, I’ve done my fare share of packing guides and lists. They’re a ton of work to put together, but oh, so worth it.
Personally, I’ve always found a visual guide helpful when I’m putting together my own suitcase — no matter what the destination. When I can see the pieces all laid out on my desktop (vs. scattered across my bed, or scrawled on a notepad) it clearly becomes evident that I really don’t need all the stuff I originally thought I did. Combinations come together effortlessly and before I know it, I have 7 days worth of outfits at the ready.
With only 1 week to go before our annual family beach vacation, my house is currently one large staging area of packing. One of my beach vacation essentials that definitely cannot go forgotten is my trusty beach bag — or tote in my case.
A good beach tote is perhaps one of the most whimsical (and potentially least expensive) bag investments you can make — so why not have some fun with it!?
• Many of the straw beach bags can be slightly structured with a stiff frame and handles. While aesthetically these are an awesome preppy chic look (I LOVE that JADEtribe TASSEL BAG – #8), they tend to be on the heavier side and don’t make for an easy carry, especially if you like to be hands free like I do. For practical purposes I prefer a softer, squishable, packable bag with a longer shoulder strap that can be easily stored away in my suitcase when travelling and conveniently toted around the beach/poolside upon arrival.
• Unstructured and wide open beach totes can become bottomless pits. Keep your bag organized with smaller zip up pouches to keep your liquids and lotions in check and conveniently hold your valuables (you don’t want those slipping into the sand). FYI: That OLD NAVY CROSSBODY POM POM BAG (#11) is an adorable under $30 storage solution!
• Select a beach tote that will work seamlessly with your larger resort wardrobe. Just like I hate switching bags for everyday use, I especially dislike swapping out bags while on vacation. I recommend sticking to neutral colors accented with playful details — stripes, palm prints, poms, tassels, etc. to get the most bag for your style buck. The bag will be practical enough to use during the day, yet still look chic out around town.
I know February is a short month and all, but man did that month get away from me! I flew home on Monday night and next thing I know I’m planning for spring break — which is not necessarily a bad thing for this vitamin D deprived lady.
Since spring break calls for swimwear and casual resort wear, it’s finally time to take a peek at what the next season of style has to offer! Good thing SHOPBOP has their SPRING SALE going on through March 5th. That extra 15-25% off your order with code BIGEVENT16 is definitely going to come in handy… especially when you see what’s sitting in my virtual shopping cart!
(Click on the images below for all of the details!)
As you’ll see, some of my picks are already reduced — double discount, baby. When it comes to spring sales like this, make sure to sort through the sale items. You’ll be surprised at how many off-season finds you’ll be able to pick up for a steal — like that BETTINIS PALM TREE PRINT LACE UP SWIMSUIT which is already 30% off. You MUST see the back of that bathing suit!
I recently had a conversation with a friend about shorts and the fact that I rarely wear them.
A titillating conversation, I know. Don’t worry, we also talked about other way more exciting/scandalous subjects over a few glasses of rosé. Is anyone else as excited as I am about the return of outdoor drinking… and all of the rosé?
But I digress…
I’m not quite sure why, but shorts have never been a huge part of my summer wardrobe. I was trying to get a mental tally going and I could only come up with 3 pairs of shorts that I currently own. A measly little number. There’s definitely nothing wrong with shorts– I am pretty attached to my DENIM CUT-OFFS as a matter of fact, but for whatever reason, I’ll pick a skirt, jeans or dress over shorts any day.
Since I know I’m not alone in my shorts scarcity, I wanted to put together a collection of cute short styles to get you all through what is predicted to be, a hotter than usual summer.
During my week at the beach, it was evident that this is clearly the Era Of The Booty. J.Lo set the precedent years ago and everyone has been following suit from the dreaded Kardashians, to Miley and her unfortunate twerking incident. There is even a commonly used term for the butt-selfie (yes, people actually do that…). It’s “belfie,” for those curious!
As flocks of young girls walked by, I noticed one major commonality. No one was wearing any pants. Yes, no PANTS. It was like there was a memo sent around to all of the under 25 crew and it said:
Dear Young Lady,
This note is your official reminder that no pants will be permitted in Siesta Key public areas for the next week. Please refrain from covering your ass-ets and allow strangers to gawk as your bathing suit bottom gets eaten alive whilst on your stroll for ice cream.
The No Pants Allowed Committee
You think I’m exaggerating, but I’m not. There were literally hundreds of exposed bums/butts/tushes/booties/lady-lumps throughout the entire community. Ironically, these same offenders were totally covered up from the waist up!? Kids these days.
As a parent of a daughter:
1) I’d kill her if she left the house to go anywhere but the pool/beach without pants on.
2) I’d hopefully instill enough style sense that she would understand she could look equally (if not, MORE) attractive while covered up.
Regardless, if you’re 65 or 25, bathing suit coverups are a must for any summer wardrobe or vacation packing list. With so many options to choose from, a flattering coverup is probably one of the least expensive investments in your closet and the one item you’ll find yourself wearing over and over. Whether you’re more casual and sporty, or sophisticated and elegant there are fabulous coverup options to keep your derriere in check and your vacation look on point.
3) How ridiculously delicious (and simple) do these donuts look? Enough so, that I may have to get over my fear of deep frying. (cocokelley.com)
4) Have you started contemplating your fall wardrobe wish-list? Well, head on over to J.Crew. They are currently offering 25% off all purchases over $150, and free shipping for online customers. (jcrew.com)
5) With this wild nail art craze going on, it’s nice to step back and admire the tried and true classics- i.e. Essie Ballet Slippers. (byrdie.com)
6) I feel like I blinked and luxury goods have almost doubled in price over the last few years! Want to know why? Read this. (businessoffashion.com)